Discussing your unique needs and wants in your new home is key to making sure that I understand exactly what you are looking for.
Beyond the basic factors – location, neighborhood, number of bedrooms and bathrooms, size of home, type of home, etc. – I will need to dig deeper to find out your taste and style preferences, talk to you about your lifestyle, and other facets that may affect your home choice.
Other important factors to discuss are:
- Your buying timeline
- Your financial/credit situation
- Your price range and whether you’ve already spoken with a lender
- Where you’re interested in buying a home, schools, work, etc.
- Whether you’re interested in looking at distressed properties (foreclosures and short sales) and how they differ from “normal” sales
- The home finding and previewing process
- What you expect from your REALTOR®
I will also take this time to help you understand the home buying process by walking you through the steps, describing what will happen throughout the experience, and explaining specifics of the contract and addenda, as well as recommend mortgage lenders and other service providers you may need.
A customized home search will be generated in the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) that will locate homes that fit the criteria you’ve described in the areas you’ve specified. Also, based on the information you’ve given, I may be able to suggest to you other areas that fit your needs that you may not have considered previously.
Getting officially preapproved is very critical in today’s market. If you haven’t already consulted with a mortgage lender prior to our buyer consultation, you’ll want to make that your next step, not just to make certain you know how much house you can afford, but to especially attain an official letter of preapproval.